Thursday, October 31, 2013

The Roar of History...

It's a romantic notion to think back to when Manx Nortons ruled GP racing throughout the 1950's. It's a time which I wasn't fortunate enough to experience for myself, so I'm left with just romantic thoughts, stories from those who were there and photographs form the period. And every once in a while, maybe just a small piece of a genuine race bike.

This is an exhaust megaphone from a 1960 Manx Norton 350, that I recently purchased. The stories it could tell, the rich history it must have, the sound it surely made, it's victories and defeats and it's time being ridden in anger by some brave soul that pushed himself and his machine to the limit, for the simple chance to be first across the line. It's an intriguing thought and I'm simply speculating as to the life it led prior to finding it's way to me. But any Manx Norton would have had it's fair share of racing, and this megaphone has some scars that prove it saw some time in action.

I have no immediate need to own it, but my curiosity surely needed to inspect it first hand. Perhaps I'll piece together a Manx of my own if I live long enough, or perhaps I'll run across the one guy out there that needs an original condition megaphone to complete his project. At which time, I'd gladly donate it. In the meantime though, I simply plan to enjoy it.

It's human nature to look at the past with fondness. Perhaps as some subconscious way that the brain blocks out negative memories or experiences. Or maybe the longing for a simpler time. In most cases, it's not 100% correct to think of things that way, as I'm sure that times were tough, regardless of what point in history you look at. But I know that riding a motorcycle has a way of blocking out everything in life. The past and the future have no relevance, as all you can do is live in the present. And even then, it's not a conscience thought, but rather a product of necessity as you're exposed to all the joy and danger of physically riding. I'm guessing that riding a Manx Norton race bike, in the heat of competition, would multiply that fact by about a million. So when the roar of the megaphone shuts off, the silence must be deafening, and you're left with just the memory...








2 comments:

  1. Hi Jeff,
    Not that I want to disappoint you, but the megaphone in question is an AJS 7R or MATCHLESS G50 Reverse megaphone.
    A 350 Manx has a flat sided mega similar to that of the 500 Manx, but instead of being open, it has a reverse that also has a flat formed into it.
    This is then all mounted to the footrest using the "Mount and Muff" method fitted to the flat sided 500 Megaphones.
    Ben Hardman
    Raysons Exhausts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben,
    Thanks so much for your information. I know that you're much more versed in the different exhausts that were mounted on these old machines, than I am, so I completely trust your information.
    I know a lot about Manx Nortons, as I've been completely obsessed with them for longer than I can remember. I'm quite familiar with the mounting that you speak of, and the flat that the factory built into them. I bought this megaphone from the guy that's restoring the particular 350 Manx Norton that this megaphone came was mounted to. And while it's certainly not an original factory megaphone, it was mounted on his Manx, and raced as such. The gentleman that sold it to me, sent me photos of the bike with the megaphone mounted, and in quite rough / as raced condition. He's since almost completed the restoration and has mounted the correct megaphone that the bike would have originally come with.
    So, while it's certainly not factory original, it was used on his 350 Manx, and that bit of it's history is still cool enough to grab my attention. In some ways, it makes it even more special, knowing that it was likely mounted originally to another great racing machine such as the Matchless G50 or AJS 7R.
    Another point to note is that the measurements for this megaphone, almost exactly match the original factory Norton drawings for some of the 88ss racing Dominators.
    Thanks again for the information. I truly appreciate it.
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete