Monday, November 18, 2013

Shrine

Every garage has at least one...
It's always just some random shelf or cabinet that's stacked with random bits. Giblets, I call them. It's almost never anything too serious, but somehow it's one of the most intriguing fixtures, and always draws my attention. It's like it's some sort of shrine, or parts graveyard. Piled high with discarded, unused and often broken parts. Little things that people collect and acquire along the way. If you've been involved with motorcycles for any length of time, you'll amass a collection as well. I don't think any of it is intentional, each item just seems to end up there because there's no other place for it. We can't throw anything away either. Even broken bits of motorcycle garbage, are kept and become this strange form of garage art.

Somehow I've ended up with two or three shelves that look like this. On top of the parts bin above the work bench, a storage cabinet in the garage and even a wall shelf in the house. I've seen them with signs marked "Gifts to the God's of Speed", but mostly it's insignificant items or collectibles. It makes me feel good though. To sort of surround yourself with these things, evoking the memory of some point in time. I guess the main thing would be to not let it get out of control.







No comments:

Post a Comment