Sunday, December 29, 2013

On The Bench - Norton Electra hubs

I've been slowly restoring a 1966 Norton electra for the past 2 1/2 years, and things are nearing the end. It's been a long and tedious process, and I'm definitely looking forward to the day that it's finished and back on the road. I won't go into too much detail as I'd like to save that for when the project is complete.

For the time being though, here's a quick shot of the hubs that I finally finished today. If you've been following along with the blog, you'll recognize a few of these pieces.


Pretty straight forward, as both hubs are standard for any Norton of the era. I found the cast aluminum scoop a while back, so that will get mounted on the brake plate for the front hub. I've got a pattern of vent holes, so I just need to drill those and then put everything together.

The spokes and spoke nipples are all finished now as well. The rims are in rough shape though. I had hoped to rechrome and restore them, but they're far too rusted and pitted, and just won't live up to the quality of the rest of the bike, so unfortunately, they'll have to be replaced.

The major things that are left on this project are to paint the tanks and then replace the rims and mount them onto the hubs, with a fresh set of tires. After that, it still needs to be wired up and then miscellaneous sundries purchased, like cables and fuel / oil line. That doesn't sound like much, but it'll still be several and surely lots of little bits that will pop up as it starts to come together.

No comments:

Post a Comment