Tuesday, July 30, 2013

2013 Mid Ohio races & swap meet

Each year, Mid Ohio is a big deal for me. I squirrel money away year round and literally cash in my jar of coins so that I have as much cash as possible for the swap meet. In reality, it's not that much money, and it tends to prove that if I have cash, I won't find shit for sale. And of course, the opposite theory applies. Either way, it's great to go and dig through all the parts in hopes of finding one or two much needed bits.

Of course, the races are a big attraction as well. I'll admit that I don't like this racing event as much as Road America. Mid Ohio used to be an AHRMA event, but years ago, there was some sort of fall out between AHRMA and Mid Ohio, so that event moved to Road America. So since this is now an AMA event, the variety of race bikes is generally quite different than what I'm into. There are of course, a few exceptions.

Friday was a good first day, and I had driven down the afternoon before, so that I could be there right when the gates open. With the sounds of racing going on in the background, I head straight to the swap meet area. Friday being a practice day, I always choose to dig through all the parts before watching and racing activity.

I had planned an extensive and elaborate post of the weekend, but reality took over when I spent the entire first day digging around on dirty old tarps and tables, and haggling for prices on any Norton part I could find. Saturday was monsoon rain, and even walking around in a crappy Walmart poncho, proved to be miserable. So my day of taking photos went to crap since the rain just wouldn't let up. All racing had ceased for the day since the conditions were far too unsafe. The rain also kept most vendors locked in their tents, with most of the parts covered up.

So even though this should have been more extensive, I'll just share the photos that I took and leave it at that.

Manx Norton with the early bolt up rear sub frame, but with a later model short stroke motor. A bitsa bike, who's frame would have been from somewhere between 1950-1954. Motor was I believe a 1957, and gearbox was the early laydown type. I could go on for days about the little things that were incorrect about this bike. The reality is, it was common for these old race bikes to have swapped out motors, so that's really no big deal. But the black painted magnesium cases, incorrect tachometer etc etc, really get on my nerves. If you're going to restore such a machine, why not do it correctly. Oh well, it's a Manx Norton, so it's still beautiful.














In the same tent with the Manx Norton, was this beautiful Norton model 99, which is a 600cc Dominator with wideline frame. This was an original paint machine from 1957, with interesting period pin striping and Armstrong rear shocks, which are quite rare. Asking price was 8 grand, which is pretty high in the current market. But rest assured that if I had 8 grand, or anywhere near it, I would have ridden that bike away.


I've been wanting an old trials bike or vintage dirt bike for a while now. I really have no reason for it, and I don't have anywhere too close to ride it, but every time I see them, they get me pretty stoked. Since finding a Norton 500T is pretty much out of the question, I wouldn't mind an old Greeves with an Earls fork, or something else that's a little obscure. This one is pretty cool.


Triton - I hate Tritons. Especially unit motor Tritons. Keep your crappy engine in it's own frame please.


Cool old scooter. I'm not sure what the make was, and it looked like one of those things where if you bought it, you'd probably never be able to find parts in order to get it running. But as a work of art, it's pretty damn cool.


The "cafe racer" tent at Mid Ohio... What a joke. The last 2 years, they have this garbage display set up with a whole bunch of modern cafe racer styled bikes that have literally no connection or representation to the original era or intent of the real cafe racer movement. I know I'm a real asshole when it comes to this type of stuff, but really, what's the point of all this crap? The neo cafe racer movement is a mockery of itself. A set of clip ons and fiberglass seat, doesn't make a cafe racer. Do some homework on what the real bikes and careless young men of the era really were. I didn't take any photos of this display because it would have been a waste of my camera batteries. A China made, ebay purchased 59 club patch and Ton Up pin on a jacket, should be a joke, but somehow this is what's become cool and accepted.

In the tent next to the aforementioned shit tent, there was a couple of cool / famous bikes on display. Sid Biberman had the Vincati there, and a 1953 Vincent Series C Rapide drag bike, which is affectionately know as Lola. Although I'm not a fan of the frankensteined together Vincati, it is a famous machine, so I felt it warranted a few photos. The Vincent drag bike is a lovely piece of history though.








Nice little Ducati on display as well


In the pits is generally where you find the real stuff. Bikes that guys have built and raced of their own blood, sweat and tears. These are the people that I like to talk to, the real enthusiasts, and the guys that keep the dream alive.

This first machine was put together years ago for about $3000, which is generally about the budget of what a race bike should cost. This is mainly because you're going to break it either way, so no need for high dollar, fancy looking bits.

Featherbed frame, Jawa motor. Interesting combo that proves to be pretty competitive.


And of course, I've saved the best for last. This was a rare moment. Last garage in the pits and looked to be completely empty. I walked the distance anyway, expecting to see nothing and simply turn around. But low and behold, and much to my surprise, there sat this very original, and very prominent AJS 7R Porcupine. I looked in, completely stunned and in awe of this machine, which was completely unattended. I felt guilty poking in and getting the close up, as I could imagine, the owner might not want some random guy gawking over his pride and joy. So I waited a few minutes, expecting someone to walk up and tend to their machine, but nobody showed up. So I did as I must, and went in to admire this machine up close and personal.

I'm unsure what year this bike is from, which is a shame, because I should know. But I know it from photos and stories. Owned by prominent collector and head of the prestigious Team Obsolete. I assume it was for their for the weekend with Dave Roper as it's rider. This bike won the 1954 Isle of Man Junior TT (350cc class), and wore that information proudly on it's number plate.

Magnesium everything, and in stunning, original, and race ready condition. This is the real shit, the type of motorbike I come to see, and it literally made the weekend. Enjoy the photos.














No comments:

Post a Comment