Thursday, January 16, 2014

On The Bench - Norton Timing Cover

I've redone countless Norton timing covers, but this one is pretty special. It's from a 1950's Dominator and has the riveted on brass badge, and is without the tach drive boss. But beyond that, this one is special for sentimental reasons. I bought this out of a dear friends shed, and sadly, he's no longer with us. I won't go into details about that, but I'll say that it's important to me to see as many as his Norton motorbikes and parts, get done up and put back into service. I know he'd be happy to know that these things were being used as intended, and it's my plan to make as much of that happen as possible.

Here's a couple of before shots, and as you can see, it's got the normal wear and tear from a 60 year old motorcycle part. Some of it is from use, and some of it is likely just nicks and scratches from being knocked around the shed for years. The inside is just dirty, but all the fittings are in tact, so it'll get disassembled, cleaned and polished up. Note that it would have originally been mounted to a Dominator with the early style top oil feed off the oil tank return banjo, so the bottom fitting in this cover, is plugged.


The brass badge will be taped off, and I'll work around it. It won't get polished at all, and simply left in it's original patina.


Usually the inside is quite a bit dirtier than this one, so it should make for an easy job to the inside.


Check back soon as I'm hoping to have this done in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment