Monday, June 16, 2014

Motoblot Chicago 2014

Previously, this was the Mods vs. Rockers show, here in Chicago, and had expanded this year to a semi new format, under the name Motoblot. I'm unsure as to why the change of name, but perhaps it was to broaden the scope of participation. I'm glad that they changed the name, since the motorbikes and scooters that used to show up to Mods vs. Rockers, simply didn't represent anything from that era in history. I just don't think there are that many people in Chicago that own those genuine types of machines. Or, if there is, they simply don't come out to this street fair type event.

The show includes a motorcycle show, hot rod show, music acts and even a pin up girl contest. In all honesty, it seems like they're trying to cram 10 pounds of shit, into a 5 pound bag. The whole thing seems more like Motorcycle Halloween, then it does a proper motorbike show. Again, anyone that's followed along with my blog, surely knows that I'm a fairly harsh critic, but I feel the responsibility to give my opinion. There will likely be a ton of posts online and thru social media, telling you how great the show was. This isn't one of those posts...

It strikes me as odd that winners of the motorbike show, get a trophy, while the winner of the pin up girl contest, gets $1000 cash. Maybe they should put that $1000 up for the winner of best in show in the motorcycle event. Perhaps then, people will take it seriously and bring out some nice bikes. It seems everyone these days has to go with the "sex sells" mentality and as long as they've got tits and ass, then the show is a success.

I attend these events to see some nice old bikes and hopefully mingle with like minded enthusiasts. Unfortunately, there's very little of those things going on here, and it's more about people dressing up like rockabilly motorcyclists. I could drove on for hours and hours about the whole thing, but what's the point. I feel like I'm already bringing them too much attention by even posting this. So here's the photos that I shot, of anything that seemed cool to me. Everything else wasn't of any interest.

Plenty of Italian bikes in the crowd, and while I'm not a Guzzi fan, these two V7 Sports, sure were nice.


Bitsa Parilla 250cc Gran Sport that was ridden to the show. It was quite loud for a small displacement single



1959 Pre Unit Triumph with nice Buco hard bags



Side Valve Triumph



You don't see swept back pipes on too many Triumphs, so these were a nice surprise




My buddy spent the past year and a half building this Lambretta, and this show was the maiden voyage for it. It ran flawlessy, with a fully built 200cc motor, 5 speed conversion and dropped bars.



This guy was hand painting the back of a helmet for someone. I stopped and had a quick chat with him.



A couple of interesting featherbed Nortons. This one an Atlas with Dunstall 810 cylinder





Rickman hub with disc brake. I asked the owner about this nice front brake set up, and strangely he had no idea what it was. Sort of a shame. I'd gladly take it off his hands since he doesn't know enough about it to even enjoy it.









Modern Adventure bikes are just about the polar opposite of what I'm into, but I long for a BMW GS. It's ugly and beautiful at the same time. And I know I'd have a pretty damn good riding experience with such a machine.



2 comments:

  1. You hit it right on. In the end, the event was a big waste of time for me. I should have only stayed for an hour but I kept hoping something better was going to come along - something interesting - but it didn't happen. Generally boring bikes. Mostly new or newer stuff. I could tell the bands were disappointed. They played their asses off for to a small crowd of vacant stares. Most of the people appeared to care more about how they look instead of the bikes or the music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Chicago and didn't look me up??

    ReplyDelete