Sunday, September 15, 2013

John Tickle


Back in the mid - late 1960's there was an emergence of tuners and specialty parts makers starting to produce and sell bolt on cafe racer parts and accessories. Prior to this, a cafe racer was really a home built machine that mostly resembled a stock bike, and generally with some hop up engine parts, lightened fenders and the occasional discarded race part. But as with all things, and with the popularity of a movement, an industry of it's own is born. And lucky for us, because these cool bolt on specialty parts allow for period cafe racers to be built with the proper parts. And when I say proper parts, I'm referring to items that were manufactured and available for sale during that period. Some of these items have spawned a million knock offs, replicas and reproduction parts. Even allowing companies such as Emgo to operate a lucrative business by making cheap copies.

Well, for me, and for my Nortons, the knock off crap just won't do. So I spend (waste) my life scouring the globe for the good shit. In this instance I'm talking about some John Tickle parts. About 2 years ago, I had seen a set of John Tickle fender brackets, or Y brackets as they're commonly known. These aluminum brackets had been used on racing machines such as the Manx Norton for at least a decade and half prior to someone like John Tickle making them, so really, they were commercially available cafe racer parts that you could buy to emulate your favorite race machine of the day. Prior to seeing these John Tickle brackets, I had only known of the original factory made / standard brackets, as well as the readily available versions sold by Unity Equipe under the brand name Converta. These Converta brackets are stamped and work quite well, and definitely look the part. But here were these John Tickle stamped brackets, in the flesh, mounted to an alloy fender and collecting dust, grime and general shop wear in a friends garage. I of course instantly asked if the set up was for sale, and offered to pay whatever price he demanded. And I was met with a solid "No" of an answer. Well, that set in motion my search to find another set, a set of my own, for my own Norton.

To say these brackets are rare, is an understatement. Which is odd because on any given month, I can find John Tickle head light ears, clip ons and sometimes even a John Tickle front brake. But all my years messing about with vintage motorbikes, I had never seen a set. Much less a set for sale. It took about a year of constant searching, but I finally found a set. On eBay UK of course. And I set out to purchase them, and was the successful high bidder. Mission accomplished, right? Of course not. The brackets are of course amazing. Or at least as amazing as any bent and shaped piece of 1/8" thick aluminum can be. They're virtually identical to the Converta brackets, but with that all important John Tickle stampings.

Even though they're rare, if you find them, this is the version you'll generally come across. These are stamped in the manner that nearly all of his parts were stamped "John Tickle (R.E.)"



And another version of the same bracket. This is the only set I've ever seen with this stamping, Perhaps an earlier version? This is where the mission "not accomplished" comes into play. Having found the set pictured above, I was content. After all, I have no need to hoard parts that don't have a bike to go on in my garage. I'd rather let others purchase those parts so they can find their way on to machines being used. But then I come across this set, and I had to have them.

J.T. (Racing Eqmpt.)



So what of John Tickle? Who was he, and what did he do? Well, he was an Englishman that loved motorcycles and raced Manx Nortons of his own. He even raced a side car outfit, and is pictured here in 1962 at Mallory Park.


The object of my post, started as a highlight of some John Tickle parts. The infamous John Tickle brake plate was a piece that I purchased and restored for a Norton Dominator project that I'm building up as a "special", using all period parts. Over the years I've come across lots of the bits that he manufactured. They were aftermarket bolt on parts designed mainly for the guy converting a standard road bike to a cafe racer. Some of the small bits he manufactured and sold:


And a later magazine advertisement showing some of his parts:


But the John Tickle story is deeper than that, and although I won't go in to an extensive history lesson, he served as the owner for the rights to the Manx Norton spares. Having purchased these rights from Colin Seeley, he sold spares to those needing to keep their Manx Nortons competitive in racing circuits around the world, long after the Norton Works Bracebridge Street Factory had ceased producing the Manx and were consolidated into the AMC conglomeration.

Selling those spares, and having the mind of a racer as well as the entrepreneurial spirit, John Developed the T5 Manx. Which from the looks of it, was a standard Norton Manx motor, gearbox and wheels. All housed within his own frame design. Although I can't claim to have the exact details, I've never met or heard from anyone else that does either. It looks, from photos, to be a standard Norton swingarm, but the front end seems to be a modified piece of kit with one of his alloy top yokes, and then of course the petrol tank, seat and oil tank are designed to work on the frame. Very few examples were ever built, but I reacall seeing a recent photo of 1 surviving bike that was brought to the Wheels & Waves event, hosted by Vincent Pratt, of Southsiders fame, about 2 years ago. I'd love to see some recent photos and get some detailed information from anyone out there that may own one of these amazing pieces of history.

Tickle T5 Manx on the left, and featherbed framed Manx on the right. Both posing for a beautiful photo in front of the Tickle headquarters.


Probably the most well known photo of the man himself. Astride a T5 Manx.


Even the delivery van was pretty damn cool.


After some time, John's business fell on financial hardship, and he sold the rights to Manx Norton spares and other specialty bits of his business to Unity Equipe. To this day, Unity carries on the legacy and sells countless replacement and specialty parts for Nortons and other British bikes.

The T5 Manx is of course a high dollar collectible motorcycle, and surely any surviving example, would be in the hands of a museum or wealthy collector. For the most part, bikes like that don't get brought out very often, if ever. It's a shame really because so little seems to be known of John Tickle, and even less about the T5. I wish that some of the people that own these bikes, and other exotic motorcycles, would bring them to events, or post comprehensive photos and details about them online. It would be nice if the rest of us common folk could enjoy seeing them and learning about them. And that's what I like about these specialty bolt on parts. They're rare, but they can be found. They aren't cheap, but they're also not ridiculously expensive. So any normal guy that's working on an old British bike, and has a bit of patience and a decent standard level, can find some of these bits, and enjoy them on their own machine. It's worth the effort...

21 comments:

  1. Who the hell are you saying my father, Emil Gomez, EMGO. Copied John Tickle shit? Are you in Taiwan? I want to sue you. I have full records proving 100% Mr. Martin Ludlow, purchasing manager Wassell Inc. copied John Tickles stuff.

    Who are you???
    My Name Is Trace Gomez
    I live in Taipei, Taiwan, Number 886 22100-1313

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? You want to sue me? That's a strange comment to make.
    I don't know you Trace. Nor do I know your father or anyone else at EMGO. Here in the United States, the word "cheap" is slang for "inexpensive". So my comment about EMGO having a lucrative business making inexpensive copies, is an accurate one. You might even consider it a complement to know that it's a thriving business.
    If EMGO or Wassell, or anyone else is making reproduction parts, that's of no concern to me. I'm only interested in old original parts, not modern reproduction parts. There are plenty of people that buy these new parts, I'm just simply not one of them.
    This post is about John Tickle, and the parts that he manufactured. And some of those parts did indeed spawn a million modern reproductions. That's a simple fact. I would also note that some of John Tickle's parts, were also copies of parts that were produced long before he ever started. And many of his parts were of poor quality. I simply like them because they were produced in the heyday of the British motorcycle cafe racer industry. A simple matter of opinion.
    If you want your phone number deleted from this post, let me know and I'll remove it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trace should be renamed Dick, I'd delete the vinegar weaned, wasp chewing muppet period Jeff never mind the number. He spoilt a good read! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LightwaveQQ, I appreciate your comment, and I'm glad to hear that you found it to be a good read. As for Mr. Gomez, I suppose that he can say whatever he likes. I encourage readers to comment, wether it's positive or negative feedback. I think it plays into the idea of having a conversation here in my small corner of the internet.
    Everything I post here, is fact, and I go to great lengths to ensure that what I post is correct. That being said, I will revise any information I post, if someone corrects me. I've made revisions to my post about the Domiracer, when I had incorrectly referred to an oil feed, as a breather. The whole goal is have correct and useful information here. But, the only fact that trumps that, is my opinion of things, and when I state an opinion, I'll clearly mark it as such. Therefor anyone wanting to correct the facts, is welcome to provide proof and information as such, and anyone wishing to argue my opinion, will simply be seen as someone whining. And although I still encourage the negative comments, I will say that anyone that just doesn't like what I say, would be better served to start their own blog, and let the rest of us enjoy sharing information about old motorbikes.
    Thanks again for the comment. It's certainly nice to know that some enjoy what's written here.
    Cheers,
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, Once a customer came into my car repair garage , after some discussion he said his name was John tickle.... "Not the John Tickle?" I replied. " what do you mean?" "You know very well what I mean" I said. And thus begun a 5 year long relationship. After the motorcycle business , John ran a boating / yacht business in the South of England. Eventually, his health broken , he moved to the West coast of Wales where he eventually died. he said that I was the only person in years and years who knew who he was, he proudly showed me a large print of the sidecar picture you have above. In his retirement he got pleasure from flying model aircraft. He was very proud of his new wife and family. With failing health John eventually died some years back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve,
      That's an amazing story, and I certainly appreciate you sharing it with me. It's great that a chance encounter started a friendship between you and John Tickle, and I bet he had a million great stories.
      He was certainly one of the great entrepreneurs of the day, as it relates to motorcycle industry, and I'd imagine that perhaps, even he hadn't realized the sort of cult following that he built for himself.
      It saddened me years ago when I had heard that he passed away. I always hoped that I might have a chance meeting with him at some auto jumble in the UK, or something of the sort. Obviously that never happened, but I've certainly become a huge follower of his.
      Regards,
      Jeff

      Delete
  6. Hi Jeff. I came upon your blog by chance. I have worked for Unity Equipe for 35 years. Unity bought the full rights to the Manx Norton name from John Tickle in 1978. We sold the rights to A Molnar in 1994. However we still have the iron moulds for the 'Y' brackets above, plus many more from the Norton works at Bracebridge St. Mr Molnar had no use for them. You are right about the cheap copies of all things Manx. We have seen many of them and can say they are definitely inferior to the original UK made parts. Many businesses are still out there after all these years and struggling due to the recession and cheap parts. Unity would never stock the stuff. A classic British bike is not a Classic British bike if the parts are not made in the UK. We will all go into the history books with pride 8-) By the way, this is a great blog. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just came across this blog today of all days (Fathers Day) in the uk and John Tickle was my dad . I'm his eldest daughter from his first marriage and spent my early years in dad's factories in st Neots and Peterborough . I met many bikers from across the globe , even turning up on Christmas Day one year and my dad invited them home and then opened up the next day for them . It has been a lovely reminder of the man he was and his passion for racing , and to hear such good things said about him and the Bikes. Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jeff and thanks for a great article. I'm proud to say that my company, DI-JER International was John's Canadian Distributor from 1966 until around 1978. Had many wonderful visits and meetings at his factory during those years. He would ship to us on open account and just wait for his money. Perhaps, that was his downfall, if any. As for Tracy Gomez, he is known as a bit of a loose cannon in Taiwan while his Dad Emil is a personal friend of mine, in fact, we toured the Barber Museum together during last years Barber Vintage Festival.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I purchased the N.O.S. set of rear-sets for my Honda 350f. Giving the bike to my Son in a couple of days as a surprise for his High School graduation. I was very surprised to find these, as I had never seen a set of rear sets from John Tickle. http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ba4AAOSwOVpXcuao/s-l1600.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jeff, Currently rebuilding a Triton low and behold a set of John Tickle mudguard brackets, ever find anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a John Tickle front brake setup. Wondering what it might be worth?
    Mike B.
    M_GUZZI@YAHOO.COM

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi I have a Norton Atlas racer with a 'John Tickle' brass name plate on the head stock. Orange tank with 59 on the fairing - ex California racerwith CAL Black plate 623020 last rego 1968. Looking for history from past owners or those that may recognise this bike

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. Suzuki motorcycles price in BD

    ReplyDelete
  15. How great to hear from Tanya.
    John Tickle always seemed to be one of the great characters in the 1960s Brands Hatch paddock. His wife Cathy was his brave lady passenger: 'Monsieur et Madame Tickle' I remember one Brands commentator referring to them.
    Once seen, you might say...and I still think of the late John quite often, along with many a sidecar racer no longer with us.
    Had the JT (RE) headlamp brackets on a customised C12, MAP 485, sold by me in 1965.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think Tanya is a better choice of name than Tess.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I recall a John Tickle shop, opposite the bus garage in Potters Bar High Street.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Jeff, I have a "John Tickle "Triton....JT Brake Plate, mudguard brackets, light brackets, top yoke, handlebars, rear sets and NOS foot peg rubbers. (I bought a pair of rear sets for £100 just for the NOS rubbers which came as spares) I have some engine parts as well. Pity I can't put a photo on.
    Cheers Steve.

    ReplyDelete