Friday, September 20, 2013

Please Stop...

I'd like to personally call for anyone building a custom bike from a vintage machine, to stop referring to it as something that it's not. Stop saying that it's an "ode to", a "nod to", "inspired by" type build. It's goofy, cheesy and historically incorrect. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean that you should.

Stop building Japanese bikes that are painted and styled to look like a Manx Norton. Stop putting 1960's Honda and BMW gas tanks on bikes that they don't belong on. I completely understand that certain vintage motorcycles are iconic and desirable, and often unaffordable, but that doesn't mean you should build a Virago to look like a Vincent. It reminds me of the guys that used to style the Pontiac Fiero to look like a Ferrari.

So if you've got a Honda CB, and want to make it look like an old race bike, then style it after the iconic Honda RC166. If you've got an old Yamaha, then style it after the iconic Yamaha TZ. Hopefully you get the picture here. If you're building a replica, then make it a faithful replica of the original. Or if you're just building a custom, then make it an era specific or period correct special. Don't put a Honda tank on a Yamaha, and leave the Honda badges on it. And please stop running around taking fake lifestyle photos of it.

Here's a perfect example of what I'm talking about. It's pretty ironic that this popped up on Bike Exif today, as I started this post a few days ago, and got pissed off even writing it. So I shelved the thing entirely, until this popped up, and then I felt compelled to finish writing my opinion.

Yamaha SR250

The thing is, the bike in this post is actually pretty nice. I've even seen it in person, and someone really put a lot of time and work into it. And then, as the finishing touch, the Honda tank badges? On a Yamaha! Hell, if the tank looks good, and the style is right, go ahead and use it, but rebadge it to what the bike actually is.

It doesn't surprise me, as Bike Exif is well known for their daily posts of these things. And they're heavy on writing the types of descriptions that I talked about in the first paragraph. Have a look at their site and see for yourself.

I hate being this guy that talks trash on this stuff, but somebody has to say something. There's this common problem where everyone will stroke the owner / builder, simply because they don't want to be honest if their opinion is a negative one. I suppose it's a social problem more than it is a motorcycle problem. But it perpetuates itself into a complete mockery.

I guess anyone can do whatever they want with their motorcycle, but we're all watching, and we all notice. And if you ask me what I think of your custom motorcycle, rest assured you're going to get a real answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment