Saturday, September 7, 2013

On The Bench - Norton Dominator timing cover

This is one of two variations of the Norton Dominator timing cover that had a boss cast into it for a tach drive. This version mounts so the tach drive faces straight up and down, and is the rarer of the two. The other type, has the boss leaned forward so the drive mounts at a forward facing 45 degree angle.

There are 3 other Dominator timing covers, all of which have no provision for a tach drive. One is a simple smooth version, the other a smooth version with oval shaped brass Norton badge riveted in the center and the third is cast with a round Norton badge boss, and the badge inlayed into it.

I'll note that while not technically a Dominator, there's a 6th version of the timing cover which came standard on the Atlas. It too has a boss for the tach drive and has it facing straight up and down. The difference being that the boss is a large circular shape.

Being that the bike I'm building is an earlier Dominator, the Atlas cover isn't really appropriate, even though it would fit and function just fine. I simply feel that the earlier cover with the "football" shaped boss is the most appropriate as well as being my favorite. I've had the forward leaning version for some time now, and had restored / polished it. And I've been looking for this version to have as well. I prefer the straight up and down mount, but in the end, which version I use will simply come down to the exact routing of the exhaust pipe. Most likely they'll be swept back pipes, and some versions of pipes will foul the tach cable, so having both options will mean that I can use which ever exhaust / timing cover combo that works without interfering with the cable.

This is the cover I bought at the Davenport swap meet, and the subject of my rant at the end of that post. You can see it's well used condition in the before photos. Obviously a take off part that was well worn, nicked, scratched, gouged and dirty. And while this is the rarest of the timing covers, condition is everything when assessing value of these parts. The seller went on and on about how if he cleaned it up, it would be worth top dollar etc etc. Yet, he hadn't cleaned it up at all. But still wanted top dollar for it. After walking away and then coming back late in the day, just before leaving, I was able to talk him down. I think he realized that nobody else was going to buy it. And while I still paid more than it was worth, at least the final price was somewhat more appropriate for it's condition.

Here's how it looked when I bought it. You'll note the 1 shiny section in this first photo. I always rub a small bit of polish onto anything aluminum before I start, simply to check the finish of it and get an idea of what I'm working with.




After about 20 hours of work, the end result is a far cry from where it started. All the nicks, scratches and gouges have been sanded and polished out. The entire thing has been degreased and wire brushed inside. Everything removed internally and all passageways cleaned. The mating surface has been completely cleaned of any gasket remnants and checked for flatness. And then polished, leaving all it's original casting marks.




I've got NOS banjo fittings for the oil feed, brand new copper crush washers and a restored pressure relief valve / dome nut that I'll fit to the cover. Once I get to the point of sorting out the timing chest internals, this cover will get new bush / seal as well.

Now it's a timing cover thats worth "top dollar". At the end of the day, if you put the time, effort and money into making these parts worth what would be considered top dollar, you could never really sell them for what you've got into them. The cost of the fittings and sheer hours of labor, would far exceed what the thing is worth. I'd guess that in this restored condition, the timing cover is worth about $150. Maybe a bit more to the right guy, on the right day. I do this stuff for a couple of reasons; I set out to build / restore this Norton piece by piece, I enjoy the restoration process and lastly, because I've got more time than I've got money.

To me, it's worth it. These parts and these old bikes have a value that's far greater than any actual monetary value.

No comments:

Post a Comment